Pilar, Travis, and Maya are the Costa Rican cornerstones of Bodhi Surf as they live fulltime in the beautiful community of Bahia Ballena, Costa Rica. Travis and Pilar are so in love with their town, and since it’s the place that their daughter will grow up, they want to help make it the best place possible and are using Bodhi Surf as a medium to do just that.
Pilar and Travis met in San Jose, Costa Rica in 2007 as they were both working and living in the capital city. After being in the Peace Corps for 2 years (stationed in Bahia Ballena),Travis had decided to stay on for an additional year of service in the central offices for Costa Rica. At this time, Pilar was teaching yoga and working as a travel planner and coordinator for a yoga retreat company. After meeting, they immediately hit it off: Pilar fell in love with Travis’ determination, energy, and passion to do good in the world; Travis with Pilar’s grounded-ness, tranquility, and joy of life. Those around them immediately noticed the balance they provided in each other’s lives, and all affirmed that it was a perfect match.
They moved to Bahia Ballena — the place that had stolen Travis’ heart during his Peace Corps service — in 2008, and were married in the summer of 2009. Travis continued working as an independent consultant for various non-profit organizations, specializing in community economic development and the creation of micro-credit banks in the Osa region. Pilar maintained her personal yoga practice and began teaching both private, personalized and group yoga classes around the Costa Ballena region. She also did some consulting work for non-profits in the region that focused on environmental protection and awareness. In February of 2011, their first child, Maya Paz, was born. This event ostensibly changed both of their lives and their outlooks, and made them want to do whatever they could do to contribute to a better world for their daughter to grow up in.
Both Pilar and Travis have been stoked to develop Bodhi Surf School in their own backyard. Naturally, the company would grow to encompass the things they both loved and the skills they had spent time developing. Travis’ double major from the University of San Diego in Economics and Anthropology, as well as his passion for surfing, resulted in his push to create a responsible and environmentally sustainable surf tourism business that would have positive impacts on the surrounding community. Pilar’s degree from the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica in Business Administration and Tourism, her continuing yoga education, and her travels would lead her to want to develop a holistic business that focuses on fostering the mind-body-earth connection and healthy living for both the clients and the earth! Both are so pleased to be able to work on something of their own, a legacy they can be proud of and happy to leave to their daughter.
Fun Facts About Pilar
- Pilar is the grounding energy for Bodhi Surf; her calm composure and “Pura Vida” vibe are evident to all who meet her
- She works hard to incorporate fluid breath, graceful movements, and light-hearted “Pura Vida” fun into her teachings
- Pili handles the logistics of our vacation packages, arranging transportation, booking accommodations and activities for our guests
- While traveling she had the great fortune of living and working at Yogaplus Retreat on the beautiful southern coast of Crete
- During her travels and other life experiences, she has realized that many Eastern philosophies resonated very deeply with her
Fun Facts About Travis
- Travis was born and raised in San Diego, California and has been a beach-lover since the age of 6
- He focused on small-business development and helped guide local community members in the creation of their own micro-credit bank during his Peace Corps service
- Travis wears many hats for Bodhi Surf and it is agreed that he has a tireless work ethic and unmatched energy; he acts as one of our surf instructors, coordinates daily operations, and leads in business development
- From the moment one meets Travis, it is evident that he is a man of ideas; always thinking of new projects to take on, connecting with individuals, looking for ways to improve upon things
- During the brief periods when Travis is not working on one of his projects he enjoys reading up on community economic development, spending time with his family, traveling, and of course surfing
Fun Facts About Maya
- Though born in 2011, Maya has had more exposure to both yoga and surfing than many of our clients — she’s sure to be a surf pro, high level yogi, or both
- She is a very curious, very intelligent, and very joyful child; all that meet her want to take her home immediately
- She loves nature and definitely agrees with the Bodhi Surf principles of respecting and helping preserve the environment